Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How to Write a Book Review

Prospective book reviewers should find this column by Miles Kington very helpful. Here's a taste, but you really need to read the whole thing!

I am constantly surprised by the number of people I meet who have never written a book review, or, if they have, did not realise they were doing it at the time.

It is different with novels.

All of you, of course, will have written a novel by now.

Some of you may even have had it published and remaindered.

So you will know all about the art of fiction, which consists in telling the reader about your characters.

But what is book reviewing about?

Book review writing is very much the same, except that instead of telling people about characters, the idea is to tell the reader all about YOU.




1 comment:

Tess said...

ROTFL - that's hilarious!!! Of course, now I'm wondering if I should go back and read over the reviews I've written and see if I've actually done any of those things *g*.