Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tagged by Lady Tess

I have been tagged by Lady Tess. I've been rather idiotic about it too; as I read the tag post, but only realized later later that she'd tagged me! This is a fun one though, so here, delayed but not forgotten, is the meme:

1. Grab the book closest to you.

2. Open to page 123, look down to the 5th sentence.

3. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog.

4. Include the title and the author's name.

5. Tag 3 people.

Oh dear. I have a stack of books on my desk. Is it the top one that counts as closest, or the bottom? I'm tempted to decide that the only one of the three that I'm looking forward to reading is closest, but in the sense of fairness, I'm going to do all three:

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
I must be exceptionally literal-minded today, because I'm compelled to note that the top line on page 123 is the second half of a sentence begun on page 122. I'm counting that as the first sentence.
"I'm responsible for their deaths. He's all but said it out loud. He won't help me."

The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears

"Believe me, I know what I'm talking about."

The conversation summed up much of his appeal for her. Alone of anybody she had ever met he allowed her room to breathe.

The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick

I blogged about this book a few days ago; and dang it; I just discovered blogger has eaten my post! Suffice to say that this book is one I'm looking forward to so much that I want to be sure I have enough time to read it without distractions, which is why I haven't read it yet. Page 123 in this book also begins mid-way through a sentence. I'm counting that one too.
'Hatred comes as part of an Angevin king's birthright.' He sighed heavily and brushed crumbs from his tunic. 'If I was John I'd pen him in Brittany.'

It's funny; these tiny snippets of text have only reinforced my feeling that The Scarlet Lion is the only one of these books that I'll enjoy. Go figure...

I'm tagging Permanent Record, Bouncing Sputtering Wendy, and Even in a Little Thing.

4 comments:

Gillian said...

Sigh. Now I have to blog.... (I am in the doldrums-secondary infection stage of flu and everythng makes me sigh).

Doubtful Muse said...

Are you familiar with the expression "Bite me"?

Gillian said...

I believe you taught it to me :). I'm very impressionable. So impressionable, in fact, that I followed the meme like a good sheep. Then I slept for four hours.

Tess said...

I have TSL on order right now - can hardly wait for it to arrive :-)

You've got some great books on your desk!!