Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Gag Me II: Writing in Dialect

I've already brought dialect up on a mailing list (Yes; I know I'm a pain), so my apologies if you're sick of it, but I've been having real problems with written dialect lately -- as in, I hate it. And so I want to share a little something from an email I received from Scottish author Louise Turner:
I've been reading the reviews of all the 'Heiland Laddie' type novels that are being published at the moment, and they make me want to scream!! They all seem to run something along the lines of 'Gazing into her limpid violet eyes, the darkly handsome chieftain gasped, "Ach, but yer a bonny lassie.' "You'll noo talk to me like that!" the spirited young woman snapped, but when she felt his strong, manly arms about her, she swooned...' And so on, and so on, ad nauseam...
I LOVE this -- thanks Louise!

No comments: