Monday, April 21, 2008

Making the World a More Grammatical Place

The Grammar Police, sometimes known as Nanci, have inspired me to join the effort to Make the World a More Grammatical Place. I also couldn't sleep last night and all known drugs have failed me, and so I give you my own feeble attempt at correction, from a CNN/Money article (Yes; I read about mortgage-backed securities when I have a headache. That's because they normally give me a headache, so I figure I have nothing to lose when I already have a headache. Go figure.) Anyhoo...



There are so many problems here, words (almost) fail me.

1. "they'll dumping" - they'll either dump or start dumping, but I doubt very seriously that there will ever be a case in which "they'll dumping."

2. Whether they dump something, or start dumping it, the paragraph above refers to "loans" and "them", implying that the thing potentially being dumped is loans, but it isn't. What would be dumped is mortgage-backed securities, which is noted two paragraphs down. Perhaps instead of dumping mortgage-backed securities, investors should dump the editor of CNN/Money!

I know this is not as impressive as properly punctuated signage, but cut me some slack -- it's 3:00 am.

6 comments:

gillpolack said...

I am deeply grateful you weren't editing anything of mine when that moment hit.

Doubtful Muse said...

LOL! I would never do that to someone I actually LIKE.

Nanci said...

It's nice to see that I am inspiring *someone*!

Tess said...

LOL - sometime I don't even know where to start with some of the stuff I find online.

Hope you sleep better tonight :)

John Barber said...

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one with grammar issues.

Taminator said...

You are my grammar hero.