Saturday, May 24, 2008

Conehead

I came back from my trip with a to-do list that was a mile long and promptly got so sick with the flu that I couldn't even manage to turn on my computer for two days, much less knock off any items on my list. It's funny how the importance of things can suddenly become reduced when you're wondering whether or not you can make it into the bathroom without falling down and hitting your head!

I suspect I need to stock up on vitamins because this is the second time in less than a year that I've come down with a bad virus-like illness; I'm not usually susceptible to these things. Prior to this year, I've only had the flu maybe three or four times in my entire life. Twice in one year is not a good trend. About the only good that came of it, if you can call it good, was that it gave me an excuse to indulge in eating weird childhood comfort food that I don't normally go for. Cheese sandwiches and orange soda pop. Actually, I had a grilled cheese sandwich at a restaurant in Houston last week, because I was at place that didn't have anything I really wanted, but it gave me a taste for them that stayed with me, so I ate grilled cheese sandwiches nearly every day this week. Heaven only knows where the idea for the orange soda pop came from -- I think it may have been a kind of proxy for cough syrup because we were out and I kept having violent coughing fits, but that's all I wanted, and that's what I had. All week. I'm over that now, and I'll probably never want to see another cheese sandwich or orange soda again, but they were definitely a comfort during my miserable week. DH was kind enough to fetch them for me (and flowers; he's a sweet guy) and to put up with my moaning and hacking. I owe him big-time. I'm going to have to think of something nice to do for him one of these days.

Being ill like that is so disorienting to me -- I'm not connected to my normal life. It isn't that I don't want to be connected; it's just that I can't do it. For the past 15 years or so, I've had a weird eye disease that no one's ever heard of. It can cause blindness, but I've been fortunate in that, so far, it has not; it only left me with some residual damage to certain parts of my colour-vision (the cones in my retinas). It's been in remission for more than 10 years and it doesn't bother me much, with one notable exception: when I have a fever. When I get a fever, I don't get a new attack or anything, but what happens is that the damaged cones in my retinas sort of ... sparkle ... brighter than the undamaged ones.

Well, I had a fever this week, and my cones went to Disneyland! I'm not a drug-taking kind of person, but I doubt there are many hallucinogens that would produce stranger effects than a fever does on my vision! The most striking one is produced by a large round lesion in my left eye. It has a slightly irregular edge, not unlike the shape of the sun seen through mist. The damage to that particular group of cones is mostly the ones that perceive the green range and, seen against a clear blue sky, looks exactly like a bright green sun! I am not kidding!

I can assure you the novelty of the green sun (or the "baleful eye" as I think of it) wears off in about 15 minutes, and then it is just damned irritating because you cannot read through the green sun and its companions, and no amount of light or text size changes really help because the stupid things sparkle and distract you, so it takes immense work to keep your attention on what you're trying to look at, even if you can manage to bring yourself to work hard enough to do it. And last week, I was too sick to concentrate. So I was out of sorts in all the ways I could have been.

My fever is finally gone now, thank heavens, because today is a beautiful day, and though I don't feel well enough to do all that much yet, it would have been a pity to have missed such a beautiful day altogether. Here are some photos of our garden at its gorgeous green best. This is the sparkle that I WANT to see!















9 comments:

Taminator said...

Glorious photos and I'm so glad you are feeling better. Hopefully the green sun is gone for a good long while.

Nanci said...

I'm glad you're on the mend - I do wish I could see a green sun, but can see how it would get old mighty quickly!

Your garden is gorgeous - are those hydrangeas, or something else?

Doubtful Muse said...

Thanks! The only thing I know about the blue bushes is that they are NOT hydrangeas -- and I know that because we've planted gazillions of hydrangeas and they've yet to bloom. The blue bushes were growing here when we came and we've managed not to kill them. Last year they didn't even bloom (never got warm enough), but the snow in April followed by the heat wave last week seems to have made them all happy and bloomy and stuff.

Nanci said...

BTW, I am LOL at this post's title. I didn't realize you were from France...

Doubtful Muse said...

Mais oui ma cher...

Nanci said...

Quelle surprise!

Doubtful Muse said...

Assuming you meant NEW France, of course!

Nanci said...

Certainement!

Tess said...

Oooh - lovely pics of the house :) And I'm glad you're better now and no more green sun. Doesn't sound like much fun at all.