Thursday, June 5, 2008

Running on Empty

I've always believed we bear a certain responsibility for our own attitudes about things. Sitting around and moping is nothing if not self indulgent. And yet ... and yet ... I haven't seen the sun in more than a week -- it's 46 degrees F. and rainy, with no sun in the forecast. I've barely seen DH in days; he's on a big project at work. I am not having any fun and I don't even know when I will be having any fun in the future.

My reserve of positive mental attitude is hovering dangerously near the empty mark. I need a refill, but when it's this low, it's hard to work out how to get it.

What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling low?

Suggestions are welcome!

7 comments:

Nanci said...

You still have feet, yes? Then they need something new to wear! If it's not practical to his a "real" store, there's always Zappos and their famous free FedExing

Janna said...

Ben and Jerry's works for me, but not my thighs! I honestly don't know how you make it w/ out sun. Hope it gets better.

Anonymous said...

I make a list of all the good things. I call and talk to old friends. I laugh. I read an old favorite book. Listen to music. Look for and think of the positives. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me!

Your "newfound" cousin

Taminator said...

I go out shopping, usually book shopping, but shoe shopping is good, too. Anything you don't *need* but takes your fancy. Or you could come to the CMA Music Festival taking place in downtown NashVegas right now. Then you'd just be thankful for your 46 degree temps and the solitude. :)

Hang in there!!

Tess said...

Chocolate and a good chick lit book. Anything by one of the Brit chick lit writers (Kelly, Keyes, Alliot, Kinsella) cheers me up.

Going for a walk helps too, but as your weather is exactly like ours right now, I'm guessing that's NOT going to help you.

Here's hoping the sun returns to the Pacific NW SOON!!!!!

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

I always try to take pleasure in the small things. I get creative - i.e. take on something new that interests me. I go for long walks and enjoy my surroundings in a spiritual way. (Oh God, I can feel you rolling your eyes!) but I do know that if I find somewhere out of the wind to sit - even on a crap day, and just go inside myself, I can find calm and a real sense of joy. If it's cold and cloudy, I make sure there's a warming treat waiting for when I get back.
Steph's Curlew Country blog always cheers me up too - it's like a splash of sunshine.

gillpolack said...

I read books - today was Thackeray's Book of Snobs. I rather suspect you read books already, though. (And yes, I'm slow. I've been slow since 10.30 am and before that I had a houseguest.)

If books don't work, I offer myself up to be laughed at.