Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Overtaken

I had every intention of writing more about my trip to England, but as soon as I got home, my life was overtaken by events.

First, a quick wrap-up of the trip:

I had a brilliant time meeting my favourite author, Elizabeth Chadwick and her friend Alison. EC's DH is gorgeous; her house is beautiful; her garden is amazing; and, her chocolate cake is awe-inspiring (yes; I have my priorities straight). We went to Swaton to see the effigy of Nicholaa de la Haye, but the church was locked and the key holder was not home, so we did not get in. Note that we did not actually do any damage to the church while we were trying. [g]

The rest of the week was spent site-seeing in a very "busy" manner, probably more so than I would normally like, but I did enjoy spending time with Auntie and I do love England. Next year, however, I think we are going to have to eschew the tour and find a holiday cottage instead. The primary reason we didn't do it this time was because I was leery of driving in the UK, but I'm a good driver and I've decided that if I pick up a hire car outside of London, I will be OK.

And now for the events that overtook me when I got home:

DH accepted a new job, and we are moving back to Texas. Seriously!

And it is happening fast; he is starting his new job on Monday, 4 August.

Yikes!!!

14 comments:

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

Cough! I'm not sure I recognise whose domicile, spouse and outdoors you are talking about, but I'll agree about the chocolate cake and you forgot to mention Taz and the awesome Stilton cheese! LOL!
Swaton was fascinating wasn't it!

Congratulations to Mike on the new job and hurrah that you're moving back to the sun - even if it is in a rush. This too will pass and you'll soon be sipping Margaritas by the pool!

Doubtful Muse said...

LOL! Well, you're right. Taz is wonderful and so was the Stilton. In my defense, I wrote that in between visits from two real estate appraisers, a home inspector, and a termite inspector, all of whom will apparently have an impact on our home sale -- i.e., the outcome of which will determine whether or not Mike and I will be living in a cardboard box under a bridge once we've made the move!

Sherry said...

Holy cow! Back to Texas??? Are you guys excited about that?

Doubtful Muse said...

Hi Sherry,

I wanted to move back to Texas, but this is so fast -- I don't know what to think. It's definitely wreaking havoc on my plan for a calm, stress-free life!

Nanci said...

Good luck with the home sale/purchase process - that's got to be my least favorite thing on Earth!

Taminator said...

I'm so excited that you guys are moving back to the south where you belong! Good luck on selling the house; I hate that bit.

gillpolack said...

You need a 'Texas here we come' song, it's such great news.

JB said...

Darn it! We never got to visit your country house! Hope it sells quickly for you. Where in Texas?

Doubtful Muse said...

Well, we still own it now, and depending on how things go, we may still own it for a good long while! As long as it's ours, visitors are welcome -- my brother-in-law is arriving tomorrow. We're moving to San Antonio. Definitely opposites on the temperature scale!

I'm sure I can come up with an appropriate song about Texas...

Tess said...

Um, you're kidding me, right? We didn't even get to visit you *sniff*.

Where in Texas?

Glad you had fun hanging with Elizabeth!!!

Shirley said...

Congratulations! Now you have to tell us whether to move to VA or not. Mack is commuting and it's not pretty! Nothing is selling around here, though, and he expects to retire in 4-5 years. And we certainly don't want to retire in VA! How do you feel about San Antonio? Is the job with the same company?

Doubtful Muse said...

Hi Tess,

I'm ... stunned. But I'm not kidding. I supposed I'm excited, and freaked out. It's all happened so fast. Mike is already gone; he starts his new job tomorrow!

Doubtful Muse said...

Hi Shirley,

I know what you mean about nothing selling! Nothing is selling here either. Mike's new job is not with the same company; it's with a different company. We would NOT be doing this if we weren't getting a home buy-out as part of the relocation package.

I have mixed feelings about moving. I'm excited about being closer to home. I love the South and that's where I want to be -- Texas isn't really the South, but Washington state couldn't be any further from the South! On the other hand, moving is dreadful. I HATE moving. And I hate giving up my beautiful house. That's one thing I really am going to miss -- I adore my house and I'll probably never have such a wonderful house again.

But I've decided to look for the positives in this situation. Mike wants this new job and it will be closer to home. I'll deal with the rest as it comes!

Maybe you could move to VA and rent on both ends? i.e., keep your house that you love, but rent it out, and also rent in VA? That way you could retire back to your house when you're finished with VA, but not have to buy anything there now when the real estate market is so awful?

Tess said...

Well, now I know it's San Antonio, that's not so bad. You see, Sean visited there in business back in 02 and has really wanted to take me there ever since. So now we have an even better reason to visit :)

I just don't know how you deal with all that moving around!!!