Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Small Amazing World

I'm back in Washington now, trying to figure out how to transport three animals to Texas (easier said than done). Since DH's new job is also with a new company, he doesn't really have the freedom to take a lot of time off to come back and forth to help me with this move. That presents a problem because two of our animals are flat-faced dogs that cannot fly in the hold of a plane, which means I could only take one at a time if I were to fly. The result appears to be a long-distance road trip in my mustang with the two doggies, and then a plane flight for kitty later when we come back to move the furniture. According to Google maps, I am looking at a drive of 2,326 miles. Pip isn't a problem; he loves the car, but Prissy acts like the Tasmanian devil when she even gets near the car. In other words, it's sure to be a nightmare, and that's a pretty long drive!

When I look at the map, the world -- heck, even the US -- seems like a huge, scary place, but I had an interesting experience on Saturday that reassures me that it's manageable. What happened? DH met a guy, DS, in the coffee room at his new job. They got to talking and it turned out that DS and his wife are from Arkansas. DH told him I was too and mentioned the little town in which I was born. Wonder of wonders, it turns out that not only had DS heard of the town where I was born, he and his wife were from the same town. The odds of that are almost astronomical!

DH and DS were so amazed by the coincidence that they made arrangements for us all to go out to dinner on Saturday night, so we did. DS and his wife JS were absolutely lovely. We were able to talk about the place where the three of us are from, and it took all of two minutes for DS and I to realise that his grandfather was my great-grandmother's little brother!!! Not only that but his great-grandmother was my -great-great-grandmother's sister!

Holy cow -- we are cousins in two different ways!!!

San Antonio is nearly 600 miles away from where we were born. Maybe the world isn't so big after all...

6 comments:

Tess said...

Holy freakin' cow, DM!!! That's absolutely amazing. What are the odds? Wow - very, very cool.

Hope your drive goes ok! What year is your Mustang?

tamsaunt said...

I don't envy you the drive. I made one trip with a screaming part Siamese cat that nearly drove me mad and it was only about 50 miles!

Doubtful Muse said...

Hi Tess,

It is pretty amazing isn't it? I thought Mike was kidding when he said he'd met someone from Tull, Arkansas because I've never even met anyone outside of Arkansas who's even HEARD of Tull! And then we started playing the "who do you know?" game and I named one of my uncles and he said, "wait a minutes, that's MY uncle!"

My mustang is a 2001 -- it's a beater, but it doesn't have that many miles and I just had it tuned up, so I have my fingers crossed that it can hang in there for one more trip!

Doubtful Muse said...

Hi Nan,

I'm going to ask the vet if he'll give me drugs for Prissy. It's a pity I can't take them myself and still drive...

Taminator said...

Wow, that's a great story! Who would've thought you'd meet someone from Tull and be related to them? Verra cool.

Shirley said...

Wow! That is amazing. I could imagine someone being from Little Rock, but Tull? Anyway, I take it you got the house you wanted? I don't envy you the drive - I'm going to see Joy soon and have to drive by myself. That's bad enough!