Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Marvelous Day: Mission Accomplished

It isn't that I suddenly have a new ambition to become Suzie Homemaker (Like that's even a possibility!), it's more a part of the ongoing healing process from the health problems I experienced last fall. The physical part of that healing was difficult enough, but coming so close to death made me aware of things that I have taken for granted and I decided then, that if I survived, I wouldn't do that any more. And so, I am not.

I made a promise to myself that if and when I was able, I would make a point of finding new friends in my new home, instead of burying myself in "work" – no matter how important I or anyone said that work was – because work is never as important as having and making friends. Work IS important; money is important, but not at the expense of friendships.

The same thing goes for cooking. I have let my husband cook for me for so many years because I am a terrible cook. It isn't intentional; I just am. DH, on the other hand, is a great cook, and he generally enjoys it. But still, even if I make terrible meals, it's only right that I make the effort, even if it always sucks. And so, I am doing that too. His birthday is this week, and I intend to make him a cake from scratch. I have no doubt that it will likely suck, but what the heck? He's worth the effort.

I suppose being so ill has been good for me in one way because it has given me an important reminder of how short life is and how important it is not to waste it by being too busy all the time. Marvelous days only come when you make them.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

1 comment:

tamsaunt said...

Since I know you can do anything you set you mind to, I believe you can be a successful cook. Remember, baking is actually just chemistry!