Friday, July 31, 2009

Cover Me!

It's taken literally months, not to mention a very patient artist, but we finally have a cover for The Art of Effective Dreaming!

Thanks to everyone on the mailing list and on Facebook who helped out with this! I'm sure I wouldn't have worked out the problem with my own cover preferences without your help.

And what was the problem?

The problem is that there's a conflict between the title of the book, the content, and my cover design preferences.

For example, here are some of the covers that we tested, in order of my preferences -- i.e., my preferred covers are at the top.















The problem that the test groups helped me see was that the title of the book sounds like one of those silly self help books (presumably non-fiction, although I sometimes beg to differ), which it does because that's kind of the point, and the cover style I was leaning to is a type often used exactly for that sort of pop psychology book, leading a lot of people to mistakenly think the book was meant to be nonfiction.

Ack!

And so, as much as I hated to do it, I chose my least favorite cover simply because it was the one that looked the least like a self help book.

Therefore, here it is, the final cover for The Art of Effective Dreaming by Gillian Polack!


1 comment:

Gillian Polack said...

I am covered! Yay!!!!!!!!